Monday, March 17, 2008

Dick Scruggs, A Man of Character

The evidence in this case shows us that Dick Scruggs is a man of character. He got caught up in some wrongdoing and he is going to take a good bit of punishment for it. But I think we will see there is real character to the man.

I have known some people who have gotten themselves in a good deal of trouble but they have still shown character in the face of their own human failings. The one who comes first to mind is my law school classmate and long ago friend Egil "Bud" Krogh. Another is a man I only knew of as interested Seattle lawyer watching the life unfold of another Seattle lawyer, John Erhichman.

(And, it should also be said even though President Richard M. Nixon did wrong, I still hold that he was and will be understood to be a man of character too. I simply cannot share in the desires of many to pass judgment. There was much good in the man.)

This step in the life of Dick Scruggs will most surely be something from which he will derive great existential benefit. I also think he will share it with us and we will all benefit.

I seem to recall this "Judge ye not, lest ye be judged." That is a good proverb to keep in mind.

As time moves on I will say more about the character of Dick Scruggs as I think more about it.

No comments: